Julie's EDIT 6200 Blog

Thursday, February 03, 2005

Creating a common vision

As we begin to engage in our collaborative projects, I am reminded the extent to which ongoing communication is important. I am continually surprised in design projects when everyone’s interpretation of what can and should occur differs from everyone else’s. Even when you’ve talked through something, often the end results are different than expected. I see design - any design - as an iterative process. A constant flow of sharing one’s vision, listening to your partner’s vision and trying to work to make sure they overlap as much as possible.

In high school, I was very active in stage crew work. Even in set design and building, it would take multiple conversations and iterations to come up with the set that the director imagined, largely because I couldn’t crawl into her head and see it. :) Drawings, sketches, initial builds were all important steps in bringing our visions together. Even with all of that, there usually was “something missing” that needed to be addressed only after the set was complete. Some tangible that was unknown until we got to that stage. So, despite all the pre-work, inevitably there was a need for flexibility at the end of the process.

That’s why I think the collaborate form of consulting is better than pair-of-hands or expert when possible. It allows for the vision to be co-created, revisited, re-created, and fully realized in a way that collaboration alone allows.

1 Comments:

  • This is why I took exception to F6 under Entry of the consultation process. "Determine if relationship is possible"- to me if you create the shared vision you talk about here then both have a vested interest in the relationship from the start and this would be a mute point.

    Thanks for your thoughts.

    Julia

    By Blogger Julia Osteen, at 8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home